Friday, April 14, 2017

Push THAT to the Top of the List

As I sit here and get all jazzed up about writing my next blog post I cannot help but feel guilty. I should be spending my Friday off working on my Master’s homework, planning my STAAR (state test) review out for the next month, trying to finish my #HyperDocs for student badge challenges, maybe some laundry, or battling the mall for my daughter’s Easter dress. Instead here I sit; tap, tap, tapping away on my keyboard. I have to ask myself why did I decide to push writing a blog post to the top of the list instead of trying to accomplish some of the tasks I need to get done first? I personally prioritized my blog to the top because it interested me, it gives me time to decompress my thought, and more importantly gives me a chance relate to other educators.

Then I began to think, how do I gain a mindset that allows me to personally prioritize even the things I purposely push to the bottom of the list. Something I need to get better at is rewarding myself with personal priorities that interest me- approaching them as rewards or bonuses. Maybe the way to go at it is -okay, if I fold the laundry and complete one piece of the HyperDoc then I can write my blog post. If I could just change this mindset I could become more productive and accomplish more of my ever-growing to-do list.

I notice that I tend to give 100% of my energy while I am in the classroom and unfortunately for my family when I get home I try to muscle out anything I have left- sadly it is usually just the fumes. Balancing work and home is so hard for me. I am sure there are other educators who totally feel like this. When my last student gets picked up at 4, I return to my classroom to someone waiting who wants help, or maybe a coworker wants to talk about the day and how we plan to make tomorrow better. When I am finally alone to get things done- I need to rush out the door to head to daycare to pick up my daughter before they close. I feel like I could stay at work working until 10PM and I would leave still having tons to get done. This is mainly my fault because I cannot do anything half assed. I start with this really little idea and then have to blow it up into a huge extravagant event.

Again this is extra added personal priorities only brought on by myself. In my journey to make my priorities less like a Plinko board, I am going to attempt to keep the goal of an empty completed to-do list in my sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Little Light of Mine..

My personality. Let’s just say God got a little distracted and poured a little heavy that day. I am just a people person and pleaser. I jus...