Sunday, February 19, 2017

Earning Your Stripes

My mom always told me I could talk to wallpaper. I never knew if that was a compliment or a complaint but she was not incorrect. I always loved entertaining others and that was no different when I got my first classroom of 30 students. Although my first year was a doozy (I mean, what teacher’s isn’t?) a lot of things just came natural to me. Sure there was quite a bit of trial and error but for the most part I found my bearings quickly. Content wise, I felt very confident. I was teaching the subject I studied in college, had a heck of a cooperating teacher for my student teaching experience, and had someone on my campus who could answer any question I had. With that in my back pocket, I felt pretty good about my teaching efforts.


As I sit here and eat my piece of humble pie, I realized quickly my teaching style was very different, which brought me some attention. I felt like (definitely NOT all) some seasoned teachers did not like to see the inexperienced teacher do so well. I wondered why this was. Shouldn’t we celebrate others? Shouldn’t we find ways to highlight everyone’s strengths? I realized- maybe they thought I should “earn my stripes.” Being a good teacher is one thing, but being a valued team member is another. Gaining others respect, supporting others, getting some years of experience: these would all come in time. Even as a year three teacher my “go big or go home” philosophy can still get in the way from time to time. I have so much to learn and love learning from others daily. The things I enjoy most is being a part in people's stories, and sharing my love and passion for teaching.


So what do you do? Pump the brakes, push the gas, worry about everything you say and do? I still have not figured that out. Sometimes when other teachers make comments, I do feel like I need to make a “keeping up with the Jones’” remark. I try to refrain from it as much as I can, but sometimes I want my efforts heard and acknowledged as well. I also live in a world where I just want everyone to like me, and it bothers me to think that someone does not or that I have rubbed them the wrong way.


In my journey to gain respect, and earn my stripes- I realize there will be another “Lexi” that will come into my life. As a veteran teacher, how will I receive her? How will I inspire her to be better? I would probably tell “future Lexi” to ROCK ON and be amazing for kids despite what others say. Stay humble because the only person you need to be better than is YOURSELF!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Little Light of Mine..

My personality. Let’s just say God got a little distracted and poured a little heavy that day. I am just a people person and pleaser. I jus...