Saturday, March 4, 2017

Choosing to Be Better, Not Bitter

I am very lucky to work in my district. We are absolutely bursting at the seams with rock star, go-the-extra-mile teachers. I am fortunate to have worked side by side with many of them through trainings, cohorts, collaboratives, and conferences. Every one of them gets to school early and stays late to achieve the level of work they feel their kids deserve.

These amazing teachers create these extraordinary lessons and post them to twitter. Twitter is where I get the best ideas for lessons and also connect and build a relationship with these shining teachers. Sometimes teachers can feel intimidated or jealous of other teachers, I am not the exception. I want to be great, amazing, cutting edge, and have amazing lessons, too. Then I realized, I need to choose to be better, not bitter! I need these amazing people on my team, to be around me to push me, I need them in my PLN, and as someone I could call and ask questions to. You see, the good thing about teachers is “Teachers gonna Teach!” If you want to know how someone created a lesson on a Chromebook, or how they set up a QR code math extravaganza, then ask them. One thing I have found about those rock star teachers is they are good hearted, do what is best for students kind of people. Therefore, they would be happy to let their lesson reach as many kids as possible, or even collaborate with you to help you make the lesson your own.

I love being around driven people- they make me want to be better and step up my game for my students. I encourage you to not tear down the extra-mile teachers, ask them how they did what you liked and become a rockstar, too. The world, the students, need more extra-mile teachers and it could be you!

Let other teachers help you grow. Choose to be BETTER, not bitter.

Shoutout to just a few elementary teachers in my district who make me better, not bitter: Adrian Cargal (@ClassyCargal), Megan Scroggins (SHMrsScroggins), Amy Simmons (SassySimms), Julie Yandell (@YandellsPlace), Cheri West (@SHMRSWEST), Lindsay Rogers (@mommasducklings)

After I started, I realized this list could go on and on... and on...

3 comments:

  1. Love this- encouraging not to tear down the extra-mile teachers. I too work with rock stars and they share how they are viewed sometimes by co-workers as show offs or "overachievers". I experienced the same at times when I was in the classroom, but took it with a grain of salt as I was confident in what I was doing. Twitter also gives me that extra boost of knowledge and also that push to strive to be as great as the greatness of my PLN. Excellent post that I will share with some of our district rockstars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock girl! Keep on keepin' on! Inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, I literally just found this blog post while doing some research. Thank you for the shoutout. You are too kind! I love how you choose to be better, not bitter!

    ReplyDelete

This Little Light of Mine..

My personality. Let’s just say God got a little distracted and poured a little heavy that day. I am just a people person and pleaser. I jus...